BAZAAR, Saks Fifth Avenue & American Express Partner For ‘ShopBAZAAR’
Partnering with American Express & Saks Fifth Avenue, BAZAAR Launches Content-To-Commerce Initiative
Founded in 1867, Harper’s BAZAAR is America’s first fashion magazine. It’s been quite a year – or should we say 18 months – for BAZAAR, Hearst’s acquisition of Elle (2011) lead to a luxury-leaning redesign for the publication in print and online this past March. Since then the book has 10.8% increase in circulation. This past week, Advertising Age named BAZAAR #2 on it’s magazine A-List. Now, the publication achieves another fashion first, partnering with American Express to bring authentic content-to-commerce to life with ShopBAZAAR.
True to its name – a market where goods are sold – ShopBAZAAR is a breakthrough online store, enabling readers to move from the inspiration of seeing desirable items in the magazine’s pages to acquiring them in a fully integrated experience, directed in its entirety by the editors of Harper’s BAZAAR. The store, which opened for business in October 2012, completes the brand transformation that began with a redesign in March and draws on BAZAAR’s legacy of elegance and style, coupled with its trademark “dash of daring.” Saks Fifth Avenue is the exclusive specialty retail partner for the launch and the American Express? Card is the preferred method of payment on ShopBAZAAR and The BAZAAR Book shopping iPad app.
“We are always searching for new ways to innovate and create a heightened shopping experience for luxury consumers and are excited we can do just that as Harper’s BAZAAR’s chosen retail partner.” said Kinjil Parikh, Vice President of Digital Marketing at Saks Fifth Avenue.
Everything for sale in ShopBAZAAR will be selected by the editors of Harper’s Bazaar. Robin Derrick, responsible for the magazine’s new look, created ShopBAZAAR’s design to fit with the brand’s existing platforms, ensuring a seamless experience that closes the gap between seeing and buying, making it possible to shop BAZAAR’s pages without leaving the brand. Items available in ShopBAZAAR will be denoted with a special emblem throughout the magazine and on HarpersBazaar.com. ShopBAZAAR was built by Something Digital using Magento, an open-source commerce platform.
American Express Cardmembers will receive exclusive perks and benefits on ShopBAZAAR, including access to specially-produced pieces from key designers, gifts with purchase and private shopping events. American Express is also a partner on the editorially-produced BAZAAR Book shopping app, built by Zmags, which will offer 100% contextual shopping on iOS platforms. ShopBAZAAR will have approximately 1000-1500 products available at all times. Saks Fifth Avenue is the vendor of choice, with additional products available from Salvatore Ferragamo, Derek Lam, Hirshleifers and Les Nouvelles. Donna Karan Cosmetics’ newest fragrance, Donna Karan Woman, is the exclusive beauty product at launch.
“The new Harper’s BAZAAR honors the past while inventing the future.” said Carol A. Smith, VP/Publisher and Chief Revenue Officer. “With ShopBAZAAR we’ve expanded our range to engage the luxury shopper in a terrific e-commerce experience, with our editors’ best-of-the-best selections, impeccable service, and an effortless checkout.”
ShopBAZAAR in the magazine:
- The magazine will feature shopable items, denoted with an emblem indicating that they are available at ShopBAZAAR.
- A new “Where to Buy” page features thumbnail images of all pieces in the issue available on ShopBAZAAR. Coming in early 2013, Digimarc watermarks will allow readers to shop the pages using their smart phones.
- “This Month at ShopBAZAAR” is a promotional page that lets readers know of special trend reports and available products. It will also act as a co-op ad for featured items.
- ShopBAZAAR (ShopBazaar.com) will be a sub-domain of the HTML5-enabled www.harpersbazaar.com and accessible as a “Shopping” tab on the home page.
The BAZAAR Book app:
- Presented by American Express, The BAZAAR Book, a monthly digital, editorially-produced mag-alogue will offer 100% contextual shopping on iOS platforms. The BAZAAR Book will also be a supplement to e-reader editions and live on ShopBAZAAR itself. It will feature trend stories with shoppable items, as well as advertisements.