Gold Shines at Second Annual Conference in NYC
Gold is an evergreen symbol of luxury. It has been a principal store of wealth and an object of desire since the beginning of recorded history. The second annual gold conference, “Gold: Vision, Value and Values,” which runs April12-13 in New York City, will examine gold’s unique place in cultures and economies, and discuss ways to improve the sustainability, fair trade and legislation pertaining to this precious metal.
The conference showcases contemporary artists who make jewelry and beautiful objects with gold, as well as historical object and ancient techniques for creating jewelry. Experts in the field will discuss challenges and opportunities faced by contemporary artists because of the high price of gold; rising consumption in the rapidly developing economies of the Brazil, Russia, India and China, where gold is deeply embedded in society and culture; and innovative approaches to minimize mining’s ecological footprint and social impact.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Master goldsmiths Michael Good and Giovanni Corvaja
- David Lamb, managing director, jewelry, World Gold Council
- Jewelers Temple St. Clair, Heather Moore, Rebecca Koven and Toby Pomeroy
- Benjamin Zucker, internationally recognized authority on jewels and gems
- Jack Ogden, chief executive, Gemological Association of Great Britain
- Robert B. Headley, COO, Jewelers of America
- Gregory Kwiat, CEO, Fred Leighton
- Patti J. Geolat, founder and CEO, Geolat Companies
- George Harlow, curator of Minerals and Gems, AMNH
- Mark Mauthner, collector and photographer of gold crystallography
- Ed Opitz, VP, corporate responsibility, Kinross
- William R. Williams, VP, environment, Barrick Gold
- David A. Baker, senior VP and chief sustainability officer, Newmont Mining
- and Jennifer Krill, executive director, Earthworks
- Michael Berry, CEO, Discovery Investing
- Juan Carlos Artigas, investment research manager, World Gold Council
- Douglas Groh, portfolio manager, Tocqueville Gold Fund
The World Gold Council is the premier sponsor of the event. Additional sponsors include Barrick Gold Corporation, Newmont Mining Corporation, Kinross Gold Corporation, SPDR Gold Trust, Tocqueville Asset Management and Fragments.